The Jerry Bailey Educational Opportunity Scholarship
Applicants must be newly entering freshmen/transfer students, or continuing undergraduate students at KU, and they must be enrolled full-time (12+ credits) during the fall term of the scholarship award. See Admissions to apply.
The Selection Committee will give preference to applicants who meet as many of the following criteria as possible:
- Demonstrate financial need - Complete the appropriate online financial need documentation based on citizenship status:
- Be first-generation college students, meaning neither parent/guardian has earned a 4-year college bachelor's degree
- Be current or former participants of a KU CEOP program
- Have achieved academic success despite hardship or unusual challenge(s)
- Demonstrate personal motivation for achieving academic and career goals
About Jerry Bailey
From 1977 to 2013, Jerry Bailey, Associate Professor Emeritus, led over 200 sponsored programs within the KU School of Education and supported colleague and current CEOP Director Ngondi Kamatuka in developing programs at the University that promote educational opportunity and access for all. His leadership and support were instrumental in the development and growth of the current Center for Educational Opportunity Programs. Jerry Bailey has also been an ardent supporter of CEOP’s efforts to build a scholarship fund that will help make a KU degree possible for low-income, first-generation, and underrepresented students for years to come. His contributions have greatly benefited this scholarship initiative, and we are honored to dedicate this scholarship fund in his name.